Thursday, April 18, 2013

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

I got that game right when it came out, along with Mass Effect 3. Since then I've been playing (and replaying) the entire ME series, and never installed Amalur until last week. For the 1 week I have left until school start, I spent about 3 days playing Amalur with minimal sleep, when I should've been researching. I wouldn't call those days "wasted", though. Sadly I can't finish the game now, and have to put it away. The environment it has was unexpectedly breathtaking - especially the foresty areas that you start out in (after the initial short dungeon crawl). It's kind of what I want to do for the Master Project - lush, full of life, huge and explore-able. I wish I'd palyed this sooner. And luckily I have now. It would help the Master Project as, at least, inspiration.

I knew about Amalur when it was being developed, and I knew the studio was back in Baltimore area. But back then all I saw were combat footages, and while the fancy kill-moves intrigued me, it wasn't like "That's so cool I gotta play those awesome moves!". They didn't advertise the environment much. So I went back to look up the developer and the studio, and they're both gone. Makes me real sad.

It also makes me think about when developer and studios come and go like dust in the wind, where would I go, and what can I take with me from one studio to the next. That is, assuming I ever get hired by them. Is it really going to be concept art? The things I'll need to do to improve both speed and creativity to become a good concept artist seemed like an impossible and painful K2. And I've known that for many years. Being the coward that I am, I ran from the mountain instead of charging in. Mostly because it's K2. But I never managed to completely give up concept-arting all these years. The K2 won't leave the viewport, even after running away for so long.

No matter. Right now I have a presentation to prepare for, CAPT, and PI to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment