Monday, March 11, 2013

End of Group Project et all.

The Group Project ended 11 days ago, and it felt like a month ago. I should've known better than to distrust the tutors' warning that Term 2 would have been the busiest of all terms. Instead, I took on a mural design volunteer project for a local school playground, another volunteer project to do 8 illustrations for a Director flatmate's short film. These are on top of the Moving Image Theory critical essay assignment, and the MA3D Group Project. I thought it would be all be fine if I can just get the drawing stuff out of the way in the beginning before the Group Project heats up. I was naive...

Group Project didn't heat up, it Big Banged in nanoseconds after our groups formed. Long (and tearful) story short, I ended up structuring and typing the entire 2500 word essay within 20 hours. I never knew I could write that much that fast... . Then the animal murals took me 4 nights of little sleep, over 2.5 weeks to finish. Then the 8 illustrations had to be done towards the end of the Group Project, resulting in 3 nights of zero sleep and not going back to the flat except for shower (or not even). Then 7 hours sleep, then again no sleep.

By the time the group project was finished, and I was typing up the Production Report, I would open my eyes realizing I had fallen asleep, but my hands were still typing nonsense on the screen... so the Individual Hand-in definitely suffered from lack of substance.

All that said, the Group Project experience had been stressful at time during the making, but after finishing and seeing the final product, I can't be happier to have been part of this team, this project, done what I did (wish I could've done faster, thus done more variety). The animators were amazing, they knew their stuff, and translated it into 3D wonderfully within just 3 days. The character modeler really turned that 2D cartoonish style into 3D well without losing the 2D cartoon characteristic. Without going into more details and write another essay, I basically learned a lot since everything I did was new, and I remembered the beauty of working in a group project such as At Freedom's Door and this one. There are power in number, in a group that's passionate about the project and working together to make it happen. Good stuff comes out of that. That said, since it was difficult for me to hide stress whenever I got it, I hope other team members don't think I hate them or something, hahaha... because it was usually from frustration with myself - my lack of speed and skills in each tasks I was given to do.

Still can't show the actual animated video because it's supposed to be entered for BFX.

No comments:

Post a Comment