Thursday, December 6, 2012

Billy Bob log 2

My gods... it's just a simple running cycle, but why can't I get it to look right?!

Made a lot of mistakes, one of them being reluctant to get a tutor/lecturer to critique what I have so far because I think it's not enough to look at. That would've save me hours of messing around alone. Gotta keep asking myself, "What's more important? Your learning, or your pride?" On a small plus side, after hearing my report of problems, he said I did a pretty good job cleaning the mess up, but not good enough to avoid starting over.

  • Mistake 1: Did not start by moving/rotating hips. Started with legs then feet.
  • Mistake 2: Adjusted frame number in Dope Sheet but only scaled the second half, for unfathomable reason. End up with lots of x.5 frames.
  • Mistake 3: Did not get tutor to critique.
  • Mistake 4: ... damn, I forgot just now.

Tutor/lecturer (y'know, we just call 'em professors in the U.S., but nooooo, not the English. They have many names.) recommended approach:

  • Set translation key frames across floor (z-axis in my case) using that anchor thing.
  • Set all in Stepped mode in F-Curve.
  • Pose hip movement and rotation.
  • Pose legs only.
  • Pose "shoulder" rotation.
  • Remove animation from that anchor thing, thus resetting everything back to origin point, but keeping animation on everything.
  • Render to Flipbook and cross reference time and pace against reference videos, and calculate frame range for the run speed I want.
  • Scale in Ripple mode in Dope Sheet, still in Stepped mode, to frame range of my choice.
  • Spline, start refining from the hip out, doing feet, and eyes and eyebrows last.

Unrelated-ly, doing this project made me found out what C Walk is, and now I really want to learn them. I like the music. It looks cool and really fun. Unlike break dancing, I don't have to use my wrist and hands in C Walk, thus protecting them from harm, which is important because I need my hands not only for work, trade, leisure, but also lots of other, important stuff. What stuff? Stuff inappropriate for scholastic progress log blog.

You dirty, dirty minded people.....

No comments:

Post a Comment